Service to Institution and Community
Being a fully participating faculty member at an institution of higher learning means much more than simply teaching.
Among many things, it means helping to give shape to the goals and direction of an institution
as well as nurturing mutually vital relationships with the surrounding community.
The activities which I have engaged in demonstrate an eagerness to engage with the community and to
help formulate and carry out our collective vision. My service to our institution and community affirms my place
as a faculty member who participates fully at all levels and is willing to work with others to achieve a common vision.
Southwestern & Community
- Instructional Design Committee: Serving on the Instructional Design/Technology Committee since Fall 2018.
Presently serving as chair.
- Peer Observation Committees: Have served on two peer-observation committees for fellow faculty members.
Open Educational Resources (OERs): Advocating at all levels for the adoption of low-cost-to-free materials for students.
A user of OERs whenever possible.
Have created free materials and software to help students complete their educational goals with a minimum of cost.
OER Work Group: Will be participating in the OER work group for developing a textbook-affordability plan for Southwestern
which complies with the recently passed House Bill 2213.
Senior Forum: Participated in the SWOCC Senior Forum which encourages high-school seniors to choose SWOCC for their lower division coursework.
- United Way Day of Caring: Volunteered for the SWOCC work group for the United Way Day of Caring. Helped with
routine yardwork for local residents in need of assistance.
- College 101: Participated in College 101 organized by the TRIO Upward Bound program at Southwestern.
The event gives high school juniors who are prospective college students
a taste of the college experience. Instructors offer talks about a topic which makes their chosen discipline
exciting and interesting; students then sign up for "courses" based upon personal interest.
Gave two 40-minute talks about cryptography
as an application of modular arithmetic.
- Southwestern STEM Colloquium Series: Gave two colloquium presentations for the STEM Colloquium Series at Southwestern:
A Model for Smoldering Combustion in Forest Floor Duff and
a more advanced talk on Cryptography.
- In-District Outreach: Participated in the recruitment outreach efforts to in-district high schools
by offering pre-advising for mathematics courses.
- Advising: Participated in mathematics advising for in-district high school seniors
who were registering as incoming, first-year Southwestern students.
- Course Redesign: Assisted in redesigning and outlining our second-term statistics course (MTH 244).
Presented the case for adopting the new outline to the Southwestern Curriculum Committee.
MTH 244 is now considered equivalent to a required OSU course for transferring Southwestern business majors.
- First Generation Panel: Participated on the First-Generation College Graduate Panel and Lunch for incoming first-year TRIO students at SWOCC.
- Holiday Lights Greeter: Volunteered as a greeter representing Southwestern at the yearly 2018 Holiday Lights event
at Shore Acres.
Columbia College (2016-2018)
- Distance Education: Served on the Distance Education Committee at Columbia College.
- Math Department: Regular attendee of mathematics department meetings.
- Open Educational Resources: Advocated for the department to adopt free, creative commons licensed pre-algebra and algebra
textbooks which are available online.